The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

When a "Zero" Can Make You Smile

At this week's WeightWatchers weigh-in, I maintained the EXACT same weight as I did last week, which means I lost "zero" pounds. More importantly, it also means I gained "zero" pounds and for me that's a win.

That’s especially relevant given the fact that this past weekend had the potential of a double-weight-gain whammy as we celebrated Father's Day and my birthday.

[Editor's Note: If I had gained a couple pounds I might have cursed the day I was born or at least the double helping of chocolate trifle in which I partook celebrating the day I was born - weakness, thy name is trifle!!!].

Despite my best efforts at self sabotage, I was able not to lose any ground. Here's the week-by-week breakdown by the numbers over the course of the past ten weigh-ins since my initial joining back on April 7th.

Week 1: -4.8 lbs
Week 2: -3.2 lbs
Week 3: -1.0 lbs
Week 4: -3.4 lbs
Week 5: -3.6 lbs
Week 6: -2.2 lbs
Week 7: -1.2 lbs
Week 8: -2.4 lbs
Week 9: -1.2 lbs
Week 10: -0.0 lbs

That averages out to -2.30 lbs per week, which is down a bit from last week's -2.5 lbs average but I'm not complaining. I continue to learn at the meetings that sustained weight loss is a marathon not a sprint. It is also not always a straight line reduction; there are usually plateaus and peaks along the way.

The important thing is to keep moving forward and not get discouraged at minor setbacks, which is a pretty good metaphor for life in general. I continue to keep my eyes on the ultimate goal – a longer, healthier life with my wife and daughters.

I'm learning a lot about myself along this weight loss journey. For whatever reason, writing about it here helps me feel more accountable to do the best that I can.

That'll do it for today; hopefully there will be less of me to write about next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment