|Teens Holding Cell Phones|
However, it's stunning to read the following excerpts and information from the research, particularly that one in three teens sends more than 100 text messages a day - or 3,000 texts a month.
According to Pew, some 38% of teens were daily texters in February 2008, and that has risen to 54% of teens who use text daily in September 2009. Of the 75% of teens who own cell phones, 87% use text messaging at least occasionally. Among those teen texters:
-Half of teens send 50 or more text messages a day, or 1,500 texts a month, and as stated above, one in three send more than 100 texts a day, or more than 3,000 texts a month.Given this hyper-communicative nature of teens with their mobile devices, here are the top-20 texts that every parent must know. Most of these were gleaned from a web site called techdictionary and are listed alphabetically. Be advised that some of these are graphic - but parents need to be aware.
-15% of teens who are texters send more than 200 texts a day, or more than 6,000 texts a month.
-Boys typically send and receive 30 texts a day; girls typically send and receive 80 messages per day.
-Teen texters ages 12-13 typically send and receive 20 texts a day, while 14-17 year-old texters typically send and receive 60 text messages a day.
These are samples of the preferred dialect that teens are communicating with amongst themselves. If you care for your kids do the following:
- ASL or ASLA - age, sex, location or age, sex, location, availability?
- BEG or EG - big evil grin or evil grin
- BOHICA - bend over here it comes again
- BYOB - bring your own bottle/beer
- ESAD - eat s**t and die
- FOAD - f*** off and die
- GTFO - get the f*** out
- GYPO - get your pants off
- H4U - hot for you
- KPC - keep parents clueless
- LMIRL - let's meet in real life
- MOS - mom over shoulder
- MOTAS or MOTOS - member of the appropriate sex or opposite sex
- POS - parent over shoulder
- P911 - parent alert change subject
- WTGP - want to go private
- YIWGP - yes I will go private
- 1174 - sender is a member of the 'nude club' willing to send photos
- 420 - do you have pot/want to get high?
- 8 - request for oral sex
1. Spot check their phone and restrict usage for every key stroke they try to delete before they give it to youQuestion: What other tips do you have or other texting phrases to share? [please try to keep them as close to G-rated as possible]
2. Take the phones and keep them in your room every night
3. Get a plan with a capped number of minutes and texts so your kids are more judicious in their usage