The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Failure or Feedback??? I Choose Feedback....

During lunch I went to my weekly weigh-in at the friendly neighborhood WeightWatchers' meeting. I was up +1.0 lb. for the week, which equates to -28.2 lbs. since I began this journey back on April 7th, 2010.

To be honest, I'm not bummed about the bump up because I didn't exercise or run at all over the past seven days, and I didn't journal my food intake over the weekend when we travelled to visit friends out of state.

While the increase wasn't exactly what I wanted - it's exactly what was expected. It's the outcome I earned and that I'm responsible for. To me, that's feedback rather than failure. The issue is not that I had a sub-par week in the past, the issue is what did I learn and what will I do going forward to change the trajectory of my choices.


I'm not discouraged but rather encouraged.

A few weeks back I wrote about "Leslie" who broke down during the meeting because she ate a half-gallon of ice cream in a sitting and then binged the rest of the week after she had lost more than -70 lbs. She did a major course correction and got back on track quickly. Today she shared that she lost more weight, for a total loss of -76.6 lbs. becoming the first person in our meeting to lose more than -75 lbs.

Those types of examples continue to encourage and drive me forward. While this past week wasn't ideal for me, I'm optimistic that there will be less of me to write about next week.

4 comments:

  1. I will echo what I have said before. Thank you for sharing your journey with the world. You are an inspiration to many. With this being said, I love how you speak on responsibility. Taking some, that is. I went to my WW meeting this week, and was down 1.2 lbs from two weeks prior. I was thrilled to have not gained. That said, I am not so sure how next week will turn out. I will take full responsibility should the numbers go the wrong direction. Yesterday was my birthday, I had family in town, and I must say - I was probably more of the poster child of how NOT to eat on WW. That said - something we discussed in our meeting was essentially that knowledge is power. When I know what is in the food I'm putting in my mouth, I cannot sit and wonder why I'm fat. I have the knowledge to be successful or to fail. How I proceed (and the likely results to follow) are on me. It is the concious decisions we all make that will either make or break this (WW) lifestyle. Sorry - didn't mean to go off on that tangent. I really said all that to say that I completely agree with your thought patterns, and applaud you for your attitude. Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laura, thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and inspiring post! I fully agree with everything you wrote and congratulations on your weigh-in - that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding post, reflective of the correct attitude toward taking responsibility for actions, and seeing (visually) the consequences of our actions (or "inactions"). Lord knows, we all have experienced it.

    I know you'll be back on track this week.

    Keep up the great work!
    Bruce

    FWIW - This week, for you I predict -2.8. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @gbr, thanks for the encouraging words - I greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete