The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Holding Steady at WeightWatchers

Last week I dropped -2.4 lbs. bringing my total weight loss since April 7th of this year to -29.2 lbs. At today's WeightWatchers weigh-in, I logged a big ole goose egg of -0.0 lbs.

By now I'm used to this repeating process of losing one week and plateauing the next, but I was really hoping to break through the 30.0 lb barrier today simply from a psychological perspective.

For me, the mental part of weight loss seems to be much tougher than the physical aspect - maybe that's where the idea of a "fat head" came from [see photo insert]. I wonder if that's true for anyone else? I find that there has to be a conscious choice on my part to want to make the right decisions on a consistent basis regarding the food I eat and the corresponding level of activity.

However, I’m finding that observation goes far beyond food.

It's hard to ignore the parallel that the weight loss process has with life in general. The idea of “mindful eating” is not that far of a stretch from “mindful living” and striving to make the best life decisions possible on a regular basis. The learning continues and so will my progress.

By the way, for those who read last week’s WW post – Leslie was at today’s meeting and was down a pound. Now that’s a bounce-back inspiration!

That’ll do it for now. As always, I hope that there’s less of me to write about next week!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. They remain motivation beyond what you realize. You really are doing a great job. I, myself, was not able to make it to my meeting this week. I had family in town that were departing right about then, so I didn't make it. I doubt I would have liked what the scales told me anyway. haha We'll see next week. That all said, you are so right. It is all about the decisions we make - or the ones we choose not to make. I like how you tied in mindful living. What a powerful thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, husband. I agree with Laura, love the part about mindful living. Great news for "Leslie" too!
    Oh, and living with you I get to see those mindful choices you are making and they are teaching are girls too..you are our hero! <>

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laura, thanks for the continued support and feedback. I really like the concept you raised in your comment of "we'll see next week" - it's a good seed for a blog about second chances and continuing to move forward in the face of adversity. Hmmm...thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @wife - all that I do, I do for you and the girls. You inspire me to be a better husband, father and man! Luv ya hon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tor, it's so beneficial when you share your personal insights. I, too, have been recommitting to taking better care of myself. When I recently reassessed my goals, I looked the truth square in the face. I was overweight and felt like I ran out of energy by the end of the day. It was interesting to note that I was at a definite plateau but because I was literally starving myself to death! My body hung on to every ounce I gave it anticipating another bout with starvation! Thanks for the encouraging news in this post and a reminder to all to take your health seriously on a daily (or maybe even hour-to-hour) basis!

    Great post!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deborah, thank for the kind words and positive feedback. Your perspective and comments are greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete