The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Deepest Thanks to All Our Veterans This Veterans Day!

On this Veteran's Day, I respectfully offer this short blog of thanks to all veterans who have served in the U.S. armed forces.  It's because of their collective dedication, commitment, honor and sacrifice that America continues to be the "...land of the free and home of the brave."

I was pleasantly surprised to learn today that our company will observe a two-minute moment of silence this morning, because the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month marks the signing of the armistice, on November 11th, 1918 to signal the end of World War One which was the genesis of this day of remembrance.

At 11:00am on 11th November 1918 the guns of the Western Front fell silent after more than four years of continuous warfare, and today our organization will take two minutes of silence to honor the memory of the men and women who fought, fell and may not have lived to move forward.

While two minutes of reflection might not seem like much, I'm humbled by the thought that our veterans did not and  do not ask for much in exchange for their sacrifice. It reminds me of a scripture that reads, "Greater love has no one than this, that one would lay his/her life down for his/her friends." (John 15:13)

I would respectfully suggest that our veterans have demonstrated the greatest form of love - by laying down their lives for complete strangers like you and me.  I would encourage you to view the video link below that's posted on the web site of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

3 comments:

  1. It is with tears in my eyes, and pride in my heart that I echo something I have said time and time again. It is such an honor to have served as a member of our Armed Forces. It makes me smile to see such thoughtful blog post like this one Tor. It made me smile. I am sincerely grateful to the men and women I served alongside on active duty, as well as those servicemembers and veterans everywhere.

    As I drove down the street this morning, I saw many people proudly flying their American flags. Pride swelled up in me. I love this country that I so proudly stood up and served.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laura, thrilled to see you posting again and thanks for your service to our country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the encouragement Tor. As I said, it truly was an honor to serve. It's also good to be back posting for sure.

    ReplyDelete