The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Modestly Monumental Success...

Today was my weekly WeightWatchers weigh-in. As you may have seen last week, I was within striking distance - losing an additional 1.5 lbs. - of losing a total of -30 lbs.   

This past week, I was focused on achieving that goal by sticking to the PointsPlus Values plan, closely tracking my food intake as well as "moving" for at least :30 minutes every day.  As a result, when I stepped on the scale before today's meeting....
 


...I was down -2.4 lbs. for a total loss to date of -31.0 lbs, with more than 75% of that loss occurring since January 1st of this year. It’s hard to believe that 1 or 2 pounds a week can really add up to a rather significant loss, yet it does.

The best part about this milestone is sharing it with others who have watched me struggle with my weight through this blog or struggle with their own weight issues themselves.  I find that this forum acts as a cathartic, quasi-accountability group that forces me to be open and transparent whether the results happen to be good or bad.

Although losing 30 pounds is good, I’m not done.

To reach my ultimate goal weight, I’d like to lose an additional -19.0 lbs and until then I’ll keep writing about it here.  Hopefully, I can achieve that within six months.

As a more immediate aside, it should be interesting to see what happens at weigh-in next week, because I’ve got the Virginia Beach Shamrock Marathon this Sunday. Usually, after that type of long race I tend to over-hydrate to replenish the pounds of water that I’ve sweated out during the 26.2 mile race – so I may see a temporary bump up in my weigh-in results next week from retained fluids as my body gets back into balance.
 
But hope springs eternal, as does my hope that there will be less of me to write about next week!

3 comments:

  1. Traci Sperino-BrockMarch 17, 2011 at 5:20 AM

    I love your blogs, Tor, because my journey has been going for 3 years and counting, and I find much inspiration in reading about your triumphs. First off, let me congratulate and commend you for sharing your journey with us. Anyone who has ever had weight issues knows how "alone" you can feel...like you're the only one who understands what you're going thru when that's so far from the truth. For me, personally, I find the real battle started AFTER I reached my goal weight-loss. (3 years ago I changed my life after my dad's heart surgery, studied South Beach Living & lost 55 lbs in 1 year.) Maintaining what you work so hard to accomplish in the first place is a daily struggle for me, for once that motivation to lose the weight faded, it's been really hard for me to try to build it up again. "The eye of the tiger" is what I called it when I was losing the weight, for it's that type of dedication & discipline that you need each and every day. So I appreciate people like you that are right by my side, fighting that battle, day after day. For the good of our HEALTH, for we know without it, we have nothing. Keep up the amazing work, my friend, for I'm right there with you, cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you!!
    I see how hard you are working and how much it is becoming a total lifestyle change. You are inspiring our whole family to eat better, move more and make informed decisions about our nutrition.
    I love you and I think you look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Traci - WOW, thanks for the inspiring perspective! That is one of the purposes of this blog is to promote a sharpening of sorts amongst those of us who engage here - creating a virtuous cycle that builds us all up. Losing 55 lbs. is an incredible accomplishment and keeping it off is even tougher! A cousin of mine has lost and kept off a triple-digit amount for years - those types of stories need to be shared and I hope to showcase those in the near future on a regular basis. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete