The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Friday, March 4, 2011

A Triumph For Bad Science

Here's an interesting - yet disturbing - story from The Daily Telegraph, a UK-based newspaer of a researcher who fudged data results and forged the names of study co-authors on as many as 90 peer-reviewed publications.

This fraudulent researcher also happened to be one of the world's premier anaesthetists, which enabled him to perpetuate these scientific shenanigans for years.

While the fraud was ultimately found out nearly a decade later, it's striking that such bad science could readily and repeatedly be published - to the possible detriment of millions of patients. Here's the full story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8360667/Millions-of-surgery-patients-at-risk-in-drug-research-fraud-scandal.html#

Here's a particularly telling quote at the end of the article,
Dr Rupert Pearse, a senior lecturer in intensive care medicine at Barts and the London School of Medicine, and co-author of the British guidelines on fluid drugs, said last night: “...For me, it shakes the world I work in and makes me feel less confident in it, and if I were a member of the public I would feel the same.”

It reminds me of a scripture,
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness." (1 Corinthians 3:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment