The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Friday, October 21, 2011

10 Comebacks I Wish I Would Have Said....

We've all been there. A social, business or public setting where someone says something or asks a question that leaves us stammeringly speechless. Then hours later we think of the perfect retort to the remark or comment, and we say to ourselves, "I wish I would have said that."

As the proverb goes, "An apt reply is as gold."

In no particular order, here are 10 such replies that I wish I had said, that I plan to use going forward:

  • "If you'll forgive me for not answering, I'll forgive you for asking."
  • "I believe it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and reveal all doubt - as you have chosen to do here."
  • "Well as you know, there is no legislating against ignorance."
  • "Since we’re obviously saying whatever crosses our minds tonight, I’d like to say how much I hate this topic."
  • "Congratulations, you've proven once again that you can't argue with crazy!"
  • "You’re funny sometimes. Just not this time."
  • "If I understood what you’re implying, I could answer you."
  • "I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see that you are unarmed."
  • "Your comment (question, behavior...) is a classic example for why some animals eat their young..."
  • "If I were in your shoes, I'd probably feel the same way; however, it's hard to argue with someone who is agreeing with you."

Question: What's your favorite response to an unwelcome comment, insult or question?

No comments:

Post a Comment