As the proverb goes, "An apt reply is as gold."
In no particular order, here are 10 such replies that I wish I had said, that I plan to use going forward:
- "If you'll forgive me for not answering, I'll forgive you for asking."
- "I believe it's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and reveal all doubt - as you have chosen to do here."
- "Well as you know, there is no legislating against ignorance."
- "Since we’re obviously saying whatever crosses our minds tonight, I’d like to say how much I hate this topic."
- "Congratulations, you've proven once again that you can't argue with crazy!"
- "You’re funny sometimes. Just not this time."
- "If I understood what you’re implying, I could answer you."
- "I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see that you are unarmed."
- "Your comment (question, behavior...) is a classic example for why some animals eat their young..."
- "If I were in your shoes, I'd probably feel the same way; however, it's hard to argue with someone who is agreeing with you."
Question: What's your favorite response to an unwelcome comment, insult or question?