The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

5 Productivity Pitfalls Learned From Marathon Training


Running Along - courtesy
www.ronedmondson.com

Today I have the honor of having a featured guest post on the fantastic web site of Ron Edmondson, a nationally-recognized writer, pastor and leadership authority.

Ron was kind enough to publish a piece I wrote titled 5 Productivity Pitfalls Learned From Marathon Training - here's an excerpt:

========================================

Prior to my 40th birthday I decided I wanted to run a full marathon. I found a training regimen, stuck to it and successfully completed my first 26.2 mile distance within the top half of finishers for my age group – with energy to spare!


That experience for me was akin to successfully finishing a large project at my job – on time, under budget with the desired positive result. I then decided that “marathoning” would be my hobby. I followed the same plan for five months and had a similar outcome with my second full marathon.



Then things changed.


Six months later I ran my third marathon. It took me nearly seven hours to finish – that was more than three hours longer than my fastest race – a productivity loss of more than 40 percent. I was one of the last people to cross the finish line. Every joint and muscle in my body ached. Plus, I was 20 pounds heavier running the third race than the previous ones.


What happened? I allowed my past successes to undermine my future objectives. Specifically, I fell into five productivity pitfalls that led to my diminished performance.....



========================
To read the rest of my guest post - visit www.ronedmondson.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment