The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

7 Questions With an Author: Salvatore Manzi

This is my weekly series "7 Questions With an Author..." where I ask an author seven questions about their respective book and share their unedited responses with you. Today's featured author is a personal friend of my, Salvatore Manzi.

He's a successful business owner, author and presenter. Not only do we both share the same first name and passion for Italian cuisine, we both believe in life maximization.



Here's "7 Questions With an Author: Salvatore Manzi"

1. Tell us about your book?
Feng Shui Life Mapping: Master the Art of Designing Your Future combines the ancient Chinese art of Feng Shui and the power of the Vision Board to create a visual representation of your "bucket list." Your Life Map serves a reminder of your dreams, focusing your attention and energy to ensure their speedy arrival. Your Life Map can also be used to redesign your home or work space with simple, easy to follow suggestions to have your entire home act as a visual affirmation of who you are, who you want to be, and where your life is going. 

2. What led you to write it?
At a low-point in my life - a dead-end job, a broken relationship, a huge debt and a depressing hole of an apartment - a friend gave me a book on Feng Shui. I began changing my home and soon my life changed with it. Combining the Feng Shui principles with my visual bucket list, I began to experience what can only be called miraculous things - whatever image I put on the Life Map came true!  I then took my Life Map one step further and used it to Feng Shui my apartment and within 3 months, I was out of debt and on my way to fulfilling a life-long dream of living in Italy with a job, apartment and visa waiting for me. When I returned, I began teaching Feng Shui Life Mapping and after three years and dozens of workshop, the book was published.
 
3. Who is a writer that inspires you and why?
I've always been a fan of Jack Kerouac for his rambling narrative style that captured both his adventures as well as meaningful insights throughout his travels.  Daniel Quinn, Alberto Villodo, Gregg Braden and Shakti Gawain convey essential truths to living a good life and inspire me to commit each day to being a messenger of love on this planet. Perhaps my favorite two fiction writers are Patrick Suskind (Perfume) and Tom Spanbauer (The Man who Fell in Love with the Moon) for their visual and prosaic writing style.

4. What was the biggest challenge you faced writing this book?
Honestly, each step along has had its challenges! Each time I think the hardest part is over, the next phase comes and presents a whole new set of possibilities and difficulties. Probably the most challenging aspect involved creating the cover design, with conflicting input from the publisher and graphic designers and such. There came a time when I just had to let go and trust others with my baby, and the results were incredible.

5. What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?
Write every day! Writing is both talent and skill, and the skill can be developed and refined so that the talent will express itself naturally. The most important part of writing is developing your voice and that comes from experimenting with different styles. One of my biggest challenges was giving myself permission to write junk. I've written a lot of junk. But the thing about writing every day is that somewhere along the way, a gem appears.

6. Where do you get your ideas?
I read a lot! I read books, magazines, blogs, newspapers... If I read a line that catches my attention, I make a note of it on my iPhone. And the next day I use that line as a launch pad for my morning writing. Sometimes I will sit down and type out whole paragraphs of an author's work and then turn the page and try playing with their rhythm to see what comes out of me.

7. Anything that you'd like readers to know that I haven't asked?
The best advice I've ever received was from a teacher who told me to study everything that everyone else had to say on the matter... and then do my own thing.

Bio:
Feng Shui Expert, Author, and Presenter, Salvatore Manzi, has been studying the environment's impact on life for over 25 years. Fascinated by foreign cultures, Salvatore has moved 75 times across 3 continents and 14 cities experiencing first hand the varied energetic benefits and challenges of living spaces from urban-high-rise condos to remote forest cabins. Salvatore's book shows how simple shifts in one’s environment can lead to a transformational experience on every level. With easy to use suggestions, he helps you discover how your environment hinders or supports your dreams.

If you'd like to learn more about Salvatore you can visit his web site at http://fengshuilifemapping.com/ or check out his book Feng Shui Life Mapping: Master the Art of Designing Your Future.



Question: What area of your life might benefit from applying a discipline such as Feng Shui?

No comments:

Post a Comment