The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Daddy's Letter to His Daughter on Her 6th Birthday

One of the reasons why I started this blog was to create a journal that my two daughters (ages eight and six respectively) can read years from now - so that they can have a better, first-hand perspective of who their parents actually were and what we were “about.”

Since both my parents have passed away, I now crave that type of insight into their lives which I don’t have. However, that’s what I want for my girls.

Going forward I plan to write a short note to each of them here on the blog for each major milestone they achieve – maybe I’ll compile all of those “letters” and turn them into a book that I’ll give them when they graduate high school, college or get married? Any suggestions? Regardless here comes the first installment:
Dear Sydney,                                                                                                          May 25, 2010

It’s difficult to believe that you’re six years old today. Everybody says that time goes by fast, but you never truly appreciate its break-neck pace until you have children. You're a living speedometer of time for me, yet I’m so blessed to have you in my life! Without exception, you are the funniest person I know, and you always make me laugh.

I’m sure it’ll change over time, but one of our favorite games lately has been saying words that sound funny in that indescribable way you change your voice. It all started a few months back near bed time when you told mommy that you wanted to put on your “pooh-JAM-iz” - almost like an FM radio jock who pukes his words. Now you and I flow out of the dialect seamlessly to much eye-rolling by your mother. Some of our agreed upon funny words in your affected lingo include: dungarees, davenport, nostril and dirty diaper.

You and I both love watching SpongeBob SquarePants together and going back-and-forth regarding our favorite episodes. Currently you’re torn between “Who Bob What Pants” and “SpongeBob versus the Dirty Bubble.” We also have fun playing PollyPockets with your sister – you both let me be the pet dog since it’s the only boy “doll” you have.

Tonight we’re taking you to dinner at Red Robin with your buddy from kindergarten and the neighborhood – Nina. This weekend we also plan on seeing Nana and Papa to further extend the party atmosphere. I almost forgot to mention that this was the year you joined Girl Scouts and learned to read – an unbelievable achievement.

Everyone who meets you, loves you and I want you to know that I’ll never stop loving you. Happy Birthday sweet heart!!!

All My Love,
Daddy

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'm inspired to do the same for my Jaimee....
    -bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney has the best dad in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tor...thank you for sharing...for I feel the same about our parents and I want my children, though they are grown, to know who I am...no secrets...only truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash, thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to read and comment. It truly is appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, it's just weird to grow up thinking one way about mom and dad - then having a virtual 180 happen without any explanation. All I know is that I have to be open and transparent with my wife and our girls about everything - this blog expands my accountibility to you and the rest of our siblings. Thanks for reading and the post!

    ReplyDelete