The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bad News and Good News....

I went to my weekly Weightwatchers weigh-in meeting today.

The bad news was that I was up +5 lbs., now I'm not freaking out too much because I've been sick for the past 7-10 days; I missed last week's weigh-in; I haven't run or worked out at all and I've been drinking H20 like a fish to stay hydrated - so I feel about as bloated as a puffer fish.

Still that's not an excuse, but I knew that I risked days like this when I started this public weight loss regimen, which with today's gain is still -25.0 lbs. since I started on April 7th of this year.

Now here's the good news, I am totally stoked by this story that I read in this past weekend's edition of Parade magazine about the incredible weight loss of actor Drew Carey [see photo insert]. I've always been a fan of his and this incredibly inspirational story has further confirmed that.

The guy has lost -77 lbs. since November 2009. He's now tipping the scales at a lean 185 lbs. with a starting weight of 262 lbs. - all at the age of 52 years old. Slowing metabolism be damned!

Drew Carey is more than 10 years my senior and weighed 40 lbs. more than I did when I started. Through his example, I'm re-inspired to renew my efforts.

As always, I hope there is less of me to write about next week. Thanks DC!!

8 comments:

  1. Tor, did the article say how Drew lost the weight? Cheering your efforts on... my overall average was 1# a week, which is probably where you're at right now. WW recommends between .5 and 2# a week so the loss is sustainable. Here's to good health for you and all of us who fight the daily temptations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nan, thanks for the supportive feedback. I embedded the link to the story - so you can get there by either clicking on "parade" or "drew carey." He attributed his success to portion control, healthy food choices as well as daily exercise 6 days a week. The article also specifically mentioned WW as option. Also, the story lists his work out regimen as well as a sample compare-contrast of his former and current daily menu. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting about WW. I have lost 20 pds since February. I can't take credit for the five pds I lost from having major surgery, but I followed the program the 24 weeks it was offered at work. I am on my own right now - haven't found a WW program in my area, and not sure I want to plunk down the $$ right now. But keep posting on this subject, it's inspiring and helpful. ~Donna E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Donna, that's a fantastic result and thanks for the kind, encouraging words. We all need that from time to time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tor, for consistantly keeping it real. I mean that. Thing is - for whatever reason we have, or can give - we can ALL come up with excuses / reason (most of which are perfectly valid) as to why we succeed or fail. Much of it, I'd say, is in the mindset we have. I do very much appreciate your being open like this. As it has been mentioned, you are very encouraging, as well as inspirational. Last week, I gained .4 lb. That was upsetting, but I moved on. I made better choices. I did better. Or, so I thought. This week, I recorded a 0.0 lb loss/gain. Not complaining, so much as a bit frustrated. But, like you said, no matter what the reasons or excuses I came up with for myself, I will continue to move forward and hope to see the downward trend on the scales again next week.

    My thoughts and prayers are with ya - keep up the good work, and don't ever give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmmm....
    my 120# loss didn't inspire u?
    ouch.
    don't have to call me fat.
    whatev.

    use this as inspiration - - i've kept it off since 2003....

    later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @MK, that's a tremendous accomplishment that I would never minimize - my apologies. As I posted on you FB wall, you're more than an inspiration to me - you're family and I luv ya bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 120 is amazing, contratulations mk. It sure is hard stuff for me right now.....Donna E.

    ReplyDelete