The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Powerful Memory Trigger of My Mom...


Today's piece was inspired by a recent post I read that was written by a gifted blogger and new friend, Julie Shreve, who writes regularly at her site, The Esau Project.

The specific post I'm referring to is titled Mary, Mary where Shreve writes about the impact and power of the audible word. Specifically, how a woman who was grieving the loss of a loved one, was immediately moved when she actually heard his voice again. I would encourage you to click on the link above to read the entire post, but here's the comment I wrote in response.

As you read, I'd be curious to know if you've ever had a similar sensory experience that you can share.

Julie, another powerful post, especially regarding the power of the audible word. This really touched me because both my parents are dead - my mother passed away almost seven years ago. 
Recently, my wife and I were cleaning out some stuff and came across our wedding video. We popped it into the VHS to watch with our girls. It was one thing to see my parents silently moving at the wedding ceremony, but I was completely taken aback when I heard my mother's voice on the video recording at the reception. 
It was surreal. I hadn't heard that voice in years, but it instantly took me back to the days of my childhood when her voice was so common that I took it for granted - isn't that what kids do???  
It's a similar type of experience when I smell a certain variety of lilac that used to grow outside our home. That scent is forever imprinted on my mind and is a high-speed shortcut to those carefree days of summer as a boy growing up.  
Hearing my mom's voice on the video had a similar effect, but it was tinged with a bit of sadness regarding the loss. Still that doesn't mean I'll stop smelling the lilacs!

No comments:

Post a Comment