The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Beating Back Worry

By nature, I'm a bit of a control freak and a Type-A personality. Others with similar traits may agree that a common companion of those personality aspects is "worry." I worry about a host of things, my pending book release, a side online business I have, certain aspects of my full-time job, my wife and girls - even this blog.

Ironically, most of the things I worry about I can't control. It's at that point when I remind myself of that fact - that I'm actually able to beat back that spirit of anxiousness, dread, overwhelm and worry that turns my insides.
 
But when those feelings wash over me (as they do most people), I turn to ancient wisdom that's stood the test of time. Here are some scriptural passages that help calm my inner maelstrom of worry when I'm prone to anxious thoughts:

Proverbs 12: 25, "An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up."
The most wonderful thing about being married and having kids is that I'm always able to seek and find a kind word of encouragement.

Philippians 4:6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Personally, the greatest benefit that I receive from faith is that it provides a place to turn when I'm overwhelmed by the cares of life. I don't have all the answers, but I know where I can get inner peace during times of uncertainty.

1 Peter 5:7, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
This passage offers particular comfort when I'm alone or traveling and unable to seek direct solace from my traditional network of support and family.

Luke 12:22-26, "Then Jesus said to his disciples: 'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes....Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?'
Within this passage, the underlined segment is what really speaks to me, because it reminds me of the fact that I have zero control over many of the circumstances and people in my life - yet I lie to myself that I do.

If I stop that lie, I can help stem the tide of worry.

Question: How do you cope with worry and the cares of this life?

No comments:

Post a Comment