The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Does This Video Disrespect Our Veterans???

This past Friday evening my wife and I attended a preseason NFL game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore ravens. As a lifelong Steelers fan, I've no love for the ravens - but the tickets were cheap, the seats were great and I've been Jonesing for professional football.

During the pregame ceremonies and warm-up I took a minute of video that I found extremely odd. The stadium was filling up as the public address announcer said they were going to honor each branch of the military. As a contingent from the Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy and National Guard marched onto the field - some of them were clearly senior citizens - the stadium blared the uber-patriotic tune "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood.

Everyone clapped and cheered. It was all very touching and inspiring - but then it got weird....

There was still about 15 minutes before the game started and the soldiers marched down to one of the end zones. A handful of players came on the field for final warm-ups including the ravens field goal/place kicker, who started booting footballs over the heads of the honored veterans...



Is this really the BEST way to honor veterans who've served our country by pooching kicks over their heads?

No comments:

Post a Comment