The Daily ReTORt

My photo
I'm no longer posting here. Visit my new blog -> WWW.THEDAILYRETORT.COM

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How did you propose to your fiancee???

Check out this surprise marriage proposal video, it starts a little slow but it's necessary to set the back story for the couple.  It got me thinking about my own proposal, which I share below - I'd love to hear about yours!



My wife (Kim) and I have been happily married for 16 years. While we've had our ups and downs, I wouldn't trade any of it - but it all began when I asked her to marry me in a movie theater.

It was her last year in college where she was studying to be a French teacher - I had already graduated three years prior - and she was getting ready to spend six months in France as a student teacher as the final requirement for her degree.

I didn't want her to be that far away for that long a stretch without her knowing someone back here was waiting for her. So for months leading up to her departure I planned the proposal. Back then, going to the movies was our thing - our first date was "Ghost" and our first kiss occurred during "The Freshman." To me it made sense that I wanted our engagement to be cinematic in scope.

Without her knowing, my sisters and I corralled both families to a theater a week before she left for France. I had also worked with a production company and the movie theater to produce a 35mm slide show (this was before PowerPoint was invented mind you) to run before the movie began.

It was a packed house for the newly-released John Grisham thriller "The Pelican Brief." Due to a few delays in her getting to her seat, she almost missed the presentation - once it was loaded into the theater's projection system, I had no control. Thankfully, we were able to get her to her seat in time. The clip ran, she accepted, and the theater erupted in applause.

We were married a year later and it's been great ever since.

How did your marriage proposal unfold?

No comments:

Post a Comment